Saturday, April 23, 2011

Language mistakes

You know how you always hear funny stories about language mistakes... I never thought I would be part of a new one being created! 
The background facts you need to know are:
-The C-word is the most offensive word in the British English. And if you spell it with a K it means "edge" in Swedish.
-We all know the word for "loose person" and when you spell it "slatt" it means the last little bit of your drink in Swedish. Very confusing...

So, three ladies from my Swedish family are over for a visit. We are cooking and I am clearing glasses, food etc and one of my cousins says: "Ah did you take my glass Sanna, I just wanted my "slatt".
In about two seconds she realize what she just said, I crack up and Dave looks a bit scared. What are those crazy Swedish women talking about?! 

We are on the train on our way up to London. My auntie has got her elbow on the train table. The train makes a little "bounce" and she slips. She says fairly loud in Swedish: " Oh I sliped off the "kant". And I go: " Ahhhh dont say that word out loud!
Even though the spelling is different it sounds very similar. If you find this funny please do spread it!

No comments:

Post a Comment